Return to Work: Post Brain Injury (NL0213)
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCM, CDMS, CLCP, CNLCP, COHN/COHN-S, CRC, CVRP, Delaware BON, Florida BON, RNs, RRP
Credit Hours: 8
This course discusses brain injury and the various strategies and resources that are beneficial in assisting brain injured patient return to work.
1.) How the brain functions
2.) The three types of brain injury: diffuse axonal brain injury, concussive damage and primary damage i.e. closed head injury
3.) The nature and consequences of brain injury i.e. cognitive, behavioral/emotional, and physical issues
4.) The role and features of cognitive rehabilitation
5.) The vocational rehabilitation process for brain injured patients
- Implement strategies and resources that are beneficial in assisting brain injured patient return to work
- Explain why the signature disabilities of TBI and PTSD have a special dynamic in the workplace
- Describe employers' barriers to creating disability inclusive workplaces (knowledge, beliefs and practices/actions) and apply interventions appropriate for each type of barrier
- Article 1: The Brain Injury Handbook -- An Introductory Guide to Understanding Brain Injury for Vocational Rehabiliation Professionals
- Article 2: Returning to Work After Brain Injury -- A Strategy Guide for Job Coaches
- Article 3: Beyond Yellow Ribbons: Are Employers Prepared to Hire, Accomodate and Retrain Returning Veterans with Disabilities?