Conflict of Interest: Ethical Dilemmas (NA1745)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ABVE, ACM, CA BRN, CCM, CDMS, CLCP, CNLCP, COHN/COHN-S, COPS-KT, CRC, CVE, CVRP, Delaware BON, Florida BON, MSCC, RNs, RRP
Credit Hours: 6
This course will define conflicts of interest and present ethical dilemmas inherent when conflict of interest arise. We will present an ethical decision-making tool to recognize and deal with such a dilemmas in your daily practice.
- Explain what conflict of interest is and an ethical decision making method to deal with such problems.
- Discuss the particular difficulty of gifting as it relates to conflict of interest.
- List ways of preventing conflict of interests in your daily practice.
- Compare best practices in dealing with conflicts of interest as they arise and ways of preventing such dilemmas.
- Compare the conflict of interest recommendations in each of the professional codes of conduct for CRCC, CDMS, and CCMC.
This course will define conflicts of interest and present ethical dilemmas inherent when conflict of interest arise. We will present an ethical decision-making tool to recognize and deal with such a dilemmas in your daily practice. Included in this course is a discussion of gifting as a common difficulty in healthcare. Several case studies are presented for students to discuss. The codes of conduct for CRCC, CDMS and CCMC will be addressed with each part of the course in the context of conflicts of interest.
This course is CCM, CRC, CDMS, CLCP, CVRP, MSCC and RRP ETHICS CREDIT APPROVED. The CCMC Professional Conduct will be referenced in this presentation.
- Introduction to conflict of interest
- Relationship to codes of conduct for each discipline
- Moral psychology of conflicts of interest
- Case studies
- Gift giving
- Management of conflicts of interest
- Toolkit for best practices of conflict of interest